Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Parenting with Grace: 30 Days of Practical Tips

I've had alot of requests for specific, practical grace-parenting tips.

I wish I had all of the answers to the questions I receive.

Of course, I do not. :)

Yet my heart is so tender towards mothers, young mothers in particular.

I remember my desperate cries for help when my first two children were small.

I sought advice from numerous older women.

The Bible is clear in Titus 2 who should be teaching the young women:

"The aged women likewise....that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

Now, I don't consider myself old just yet. :)

But often, if young mothers ask true "older" mothers (whose children are grown) for practical parenting advice, they find the older mother has forgotten much of the early years. A rote response of, "Well, we prayed alot" or, "I would never let my child do that!" without being followed up with practical, hands-on help has discouraged many young mothers, myself included.

Obviously we need to bathe our children in prayer. And of course, your child would never do that. :)

But what young mothers really want to know is "How do I get my children to listen to me? What about tantrums and lying, rude body noises and tattling, sibling rivalry and backtalk? What do I do when they hit another child? How do I teach them the Gospel? How do I get them to crawl out of the McDonald's play area when I call them? What if both parents aren't on the same page? What about bedtime battles and anger? How do I get them to show empathy and respect to others? What about mealtime battles?"

They are craving practical, inspiring ideas they can implement in their own situation.

So while I definitely don't have ALL the answers, I am not so "old" that I'm far removed from the early years. I haven't forgotten "what works" because I'm still up-to-my-eyeballs in raising my children.

In fact, I am right in the trenches with you. :) 

I've spent way too much  alot of time over the past 15 years researching and applying various parenting philosophies and practical ideas.

When I try to compile some of my thoughts into one blog post, it quickly becomes WAY. too. long. (I know, I know, my wordiness is no shock. lol)

Instead of one mind-boggling, ridiculously long blog post,  I'm going to split the practical tips into

30 Days of Practical Tips for Parenting with Grace

with one specific topic addressed daily.

I don't usually blog every day but I feel this will be the most effective way to share.

Check back often (or follow my blog for instant updates)! 




2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I will be following. :) I fall into the 'desperate for wise council' category!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a mother of five children....four who are grown. I still love to learn. I am looking forward to the 30 days of tips!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any and all comments as long as they are Christ-honoring. Please let me know what you think!