Sunday, November 4, 2012

In case you were wondering....

November is National Adoption Awareness month, in case you didn't know.

That means I have an excuse a reason to post even more about our Father's heart for the fatherless. :)

I'm also working on a long-awaited update post on Johanna. It should be up tonight or tomorrow. I finally feel liberty to share some of the challenges we've faced, adopting an older child out-of-birth-order. If you've been curious (or even came out and openly asked!) about how the past year has truly been, stay tuned for the next post.

Eliana (10) and Nathaniel (8) have their first violin recital this month. This means we've been working extra hard and long on their practice times. Johanna wants to play an instrument, but we don't feel she's quite ready for the violin experience.....any ideas for a very simple, easy-to-learn (maybe without professional lessons) instrument we could give her for Christmas? I would prefer something that would blend nicely with the piano and violins. We do have a penny whistle, but Johanna struggles with blowing it correctly, due to her repaired cleft lip and the damaged muscles. Ideas, anyone???

I'm headed back to my draft of Johanna's update. More later!



8 comments:

  1. First time commenter, long time stalker, you might could try her on a recorder, they are pretty easy to pick up and learn quickly and goes nicely with the violin and piano, might be easier for her to blow as well. I am looking forward to your post. kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you looked at the Autoharp?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCRcbhPcYQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. A guitar would be fun!! My kids also love the xylophone!!! Looking frwd to reading her update!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading your post about your family's experiences and life with Johanna this past year! We're waiting for LOA for a little one in China, and though we haven't felt it would be wise at this point to adopt out of birth order, I'm always interested in learning more from families who have BTDT, and we may consider it in the future, if we feel like God is leading us in that direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a pianist and organist... I'd suggest the guitar. I picked one up in college and was surprised on how easy it was to pick up songs once you know a few chords, compared with the piano that is- and no blowing! Harp might be a good option too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking of the recorder for Johanna as well. But if you want to avoid wind instruments, why can't she learn the piano as well? Duets are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have just about every instrument in our home! Our teen son from China is taking guitar at school. He has long fingers and that has been fairly easy for him. You can find all types of music books that not only have the chord written in, but also has a picture of the fingering. I taught myself when I was young.

    If that is too much of a challenge, I saw a "beginning" type guitar the other day somewhere that is super simple. It is labeled with the chord. You push the "C" note for the c chord, etc. It might help her learn to strum and be in rhythm and also learn to hear how the instruments and sounds work together.
    Then she can gradually move up to more fingering.

    Also we are almost all self-taught around here. There has only occasionally been enough money for lessons. There are such great piano book series out now that make self-teaching very easy. Within a time or two they can begin playing songs.

    Looking forward to your post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lap harp is fun. They are pretty easy to learn as you slip the music sheet underneath and it helps you along. :) They are pretty reasonably priced as well.
    I have been reading your blog for awhile. I always enjoy reading your parenting with Grace posts. Thanks for sharing your heart here on the blog. I am looking forward to reading more about Johanna and how things have gone for you all. Thank you for being so REAL. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any and all comments as long as they are Christ-honoring. Please let me know what you think!